Everybody loves a good Top Ten list. Here’s our most recent compilation, on how to ensure your business maintains a great online reputation.
1. Own the first page of Google results. Here you want your company’s website, your social media profiles, any company or personal blogs, and press releases to show up.
3. Unique websites and blogs
4. Press releases. These babies help you get high rankings. Create links to the press releases from your website, blogs and social properties.
5. Encourage reviews. Make sure you have a process for proactively asking for customers to review your product or service. Concentrate on Yelp, Google+, City Search and Yahoo! Local.
6. Don’t argue. The customer is always right, even when they’re wrong. Be respectful, respond succinctly, and take the discussion to a site you own and control whenever possible.
7. YouTube. Videos consistently rank high in search results, so be sure you have a YouTube channel, and you know how to use it.
8. Press (not press releases!). Look for opportunities to be interviewed for local media.
9. Mobile. Your website needs to display well and be optimized for mobile devices. Google penalizes sites that aren’t mobile-friendly.
10. Be active. Answer questions in relevant LinkedIn groups, participate in your niche’s online forums, and add your company’s presentations to SlideShare (owned by Google!)
Have any other reputation tips that work for you, especially that are specific to a particular niche? We’d love to hear them.